Monday, October 27, 2014

Ninjas, Spiders and Pumpkins, Oh My!


So we all know that Halloween is at the end of the weekI mean how could I forget? My kids talk about it like 57398234 times a day! No matter what we are working on or discussing, they seem to find a way to include dressing up like a ninja into the conversation! Well you know what they say, if you can’t beat them, join them right? Well, I have to get a little creative when trying to incorporate “Halloween” into my teaching. (My school does not celebrate Halloween, and we do not teach in themes eithermajor bummer, I know!) So, I have been trying to squeeze in “Halloween” related material wherever I can!  Last week, we were working on fact and opinion. We spent some time reading books on spiders, and we watched the PebbleGo on “All About Spiders” to build some background. Then, we completed a fact and opinion sort on SPIDERS! They loved it, and more importantly, they did really well on it! If you would like to use our spider fact and opinion sort, just click the photo below!


We also started working on fact families last week. We talked all about how the fact family is related and, how they live in the fact family house. Well, this year it just happens to be a fact family HAUNTED house! We did this little activity in our math journals. They got to pick a fact family and complete the facts inside, and then color the haunted house on the outside!
 
We also got to learn about the lifecycle of a pumpkin last week. We only spent a day on this, so we did not get to do much. We did read the book, From Seed to Pumpkin by Wendy Pfeffer and completed a pumpkin lifecycle cut and paste that can be found in my Lifecycle of a Pumpkin Set. Finally, we read a small reader from my set that reviewed the stages of the pumpkin lifecycle!

Have a Happy Halloween everyone!!





1 comment:

  1. Is your haunted house fact family available for purchase?

    ReplyDelete